Monday, May 24, 2010

Matters of the Heart

The fam and I attended the wedding of one of my dearest friend's, Ella, on Saturday. It was a fabulous day filled with wildflowers, great food and fun people. There was a really good cover band playing for the reception. They started playing "Foxy Lady" and I could feel the dancing itch in my feet. I knew there was no way I was gonna get Jason out on the dance floor at an event where he knew maybe two other people besides Dylan and I, so I asked Dylan to go dance with me. He said, "No."

I was bummed, but got over it and decided I would get plenty of dancing in later when it became a big circle of tipsy girls and hip-hop songs. Well, I was right about that part, but before that time came, an amazing thing happened. It had probably been about a half an hour since I asked Dylan to dance when he asked me to take him to the restroom. While he was peeing he said to me, "Mommy, you know about that dancing thing? Well, my heart keeps telling me yes and no, and yes and no." I almost melted. How cute and how insightful. Doesn't your heart make you question whether you should get out in a crowd and possibly embarrass yourself too?

So I told him that when his heart is confused about something, my advice was to go for it, especially if it was about dancing. We'll have this talk again when he is about 15 and I can really explain the consequences of more important decisions. But for now, honey, DANCE!!!

We went out to the dance floor. It took a little more convincing by myself and one of the bridesmaids, but he finally started to move. He held my hands for the first song and a half and then broke loose and busted some major moves. Within about 10 minutes he worked up the courage to ask the bride for a dance. She loved it!! We got some cute pics that I will post on Facebook when I get them loaded on the computer. But, I did not want to forget this milestone and wanted to share the story with you all. I mean, how freakin cute is that!!!

3 comments:

KSKH said...

Tell Dylan that I am expecting him to dance with me when I see him.

Courtney said...

How adorable!!! And what a stud mackin on the bride at the wedding!! Love it!!!

Phyllis said...

This is one of those 'Mommy Moments' that you will treasure and remember years from now! Love it!