Monday, October 27, 2008

Willie Freakin' Nelson!!

So, thanks to Audrey, I had the pleasure of attending the closing concert for The Backyard. For those of you who don't know, The Backyard is a large outdoor live music venue nestled in the heart of the hill country. And now a huge shopping center, hence "the closing". They have plans to reopen down Hwy 71 at an even larger spot and I am sure it will be great, but it'll never be exactly the same.
The music line up was unbelievable. We got to see some really talented musicians and danced our hearts out! Elizabeth Wills was the first act and she was terrific. Fantastic voice and great stage presence. Plus I really like the song lyrics she writes. After that there were a couple acts not worth mentioning in this blog. But then.....Carolyn Wonderland (very Janis Joplin-like) was great and The Gourds really got the crowd going. They do lots of their own stuff, but also do "country" cover versions of everyone from Jethro Tull to Snoop Dogg. Hilarious!
Followed by Ruthie Foster, Kelly Willis, Jimmy Vaughn, are you drooling yet?

Then of course, WILLIE was the headliner. I have never seen him live before and he was great. He sang most of his oldies but goodies and got the crowd involved. Threw out a few red bandannas to ladies (old ladies) that were throwing their "grannie panties" up on stage for him!! Guess he's still got it!!
He shared with us some of the songs he had written during his recovery from carpal tunnel surgery. One started with "Too many pain pills and too much pot" and another ended with "Did you hear the one about the dirty whore?". Needless to say, they were a riot.

This is going to be a hard one to top. Might be the best concert I will ever attend. Audrey and I made lots of friends at our private VIP spot and we shared laughs and dances. I am exhausted today, but it was definitely worth it!!

2 comments:

KSKH said...

That is brand new information. I didn't know you were a Willie fan.

Heather@WHMB said...

I will forgive Audrey for not supplying a 3rd ticket, eventually. ;) I am so glad you guys had fun, sounds like a total blast.