Friday, August 21, 2009

Time to brag.......... (or 867-5309)

Everyone that reads this blog already knows Dylan is phenomenally smart, right? Well in case there is any doubt please continue reading.
Today is the last day of preschool for most of his compadres and he wanted to make them "Good Luck in Kindergarten" cards as they move on to a new phase in life. (Okay, so there was some pressure from me to do so, but he did think it was a great idea!)
So, last night we sat down and made homemade cards out of construction paper and crayons for his three best friends: Clayton, Easton and Michael. They will all be leaving Dylan behind for the big bad world of kindergarten as he suffers through one more year of preschool due to the Nazi rules about birth date and school start. Boo!! I feel really bad for my two close friends with girls that have early September bdays. That is even worse.
Anyway, I wrote on the front of the cards, "Good Luck in Kindergarten, (Insert Name)" and "I Will Miss You" on the inside. Then Dylan wrote his name and their names inside. I asked him if he thought we should include our phone number so they could call and keep in touch. He thought that, too, was a great idea!
We have not yet taught him his phone number. He is good with the address and knows both mine and Jason's real names. So, here we go with Card #1. I say the digits one at a time as he writes and tell him where to put the dash. Looks good except for some VERY large 8s. But legible.
Card #2, same sequence of steps.
Card #3, after writing his name, Dylan moves straight over to the other side of the card and writes the full phone number without one single prompt from me, EVEN THE DASH!!
So, I make a huge deal about it. The most amazing part was that a couple times he had to stop and think, you could see him pause and look up and then BAM he would remember the number.
This was Michael's card and when he got to writing in his friend's name we got a backwards "c". Oops! Some of those letters can be really tricky. He was upset and frustrated and wanted to do a new card.
I agreed to make a new one while he went and showered and then he could do his writing afterward. Off he went to the shower. When he returned he found a new card waiting for him and even though it had been about 20 minutes, still remembered the full phone number without any help from me.
Maybe this doesn't seem awesome to you, but I was so proud. And sad that he is really that grown up. Time flies.

2 comments:

Heather@WHMB said...

He is such a doll Carrie! I would be proud too.

KSKH said...

My nephew is soo smart!