Friday, June 18, 2010

The Voice

I have been reading a book I saw on Oprah called, "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth. It is mostly geared toward compulsive eaters, which I do not classify myself, but there is a lot of really insightful info about our relationship with ourselves and with food that I have found useful and interesting.
I just finished reading a chapter about "The Voice". This is the voice inside our heads that we all have. The author says it is developed by the age of 4. It comes from all the feedback (positive or negative) we get from our parents, family, teachers, etc. over the course of our lives. It is the thing that tells us "you shouldn't have said that", "you shouldn't have worn that", "you shouldn't do that".
What I found so interesting about the concept in the book is that the author says we believe this voice is our reasoning and so it is telling us the truth. But, in actuality it is just the years of self doubt we have created based on what we think other people believe about us. She says that if we tell the voice to "Fuck off!" or "Go have a few margaritas and then tell me what you think!" and basically start treating it as an enemy, we will figure out what we really think about ourselves. And more importantly what we really feel in our bodies.
If the voice is telling you that you are fat. Ignore the voice. Then if your belly tells you that your pants are too tight, decide if you want to do something about that. But don't base your assessment of being fat on the voice in your head. Because that voice is gonna tell you that you are fat even when you aren't. (Right, like it told me I was when I weighed 135 lbs.)
But it doesn't have to be about weight. Say you hate your job. The voice tells you that you are miserable because "you didn't go to college" or "you chose the wrong major". Well, shut up voice. Is there another job you want? Do you have to go to school for it? Is the voice saying, "Go to school? You are too old to go back to school!" Well, tell the voice to shove it. If by ignoring the voice you discover you really don't hate your job all that much, stay put. Or go to school. Or take a vacation.
Anyway, I thought it was an interesting concept and am going to try hard to ignore the voice in my head. It is not part of me, it is fighting me.

1 comment:

Milo and Joey Good said...

This sounds like a really good book... I like your examples, they make a lot of sense. Thanks!