Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Did you have a good day?

Today was Dylan's third day of kindergarten. I had been warned by friends with older children and his teacher that the first week of "big" school can be really tough on little ones. I assumed Dylan would be above this hardship since he has been going to daycare and preschool his entire life.

Boy was I wrong!

The first two nights were just like every other evening. He was a ball full of energy and we laughed, read, played games, had dinner, showered, etc. When I picked him up today I could tell he was moody. To say the least. Unfortunately we had to hit up the grocery store for a few essential items. By the time we got home and got unloaded, his emotional breakdown had begun.

I should have called and warned Jason before he got home. "Hi honey, FYI...you are going to arrive in a war zone." I was able to get him to eat some chicken, broccoli and toast. I stepped in the garage to move some laundry from the washer to the dryer and when I returned, Dylan was balling and being sent to his room for a timeout.

I started his shower and we decided an early bedtime was a necessity. Dylan stood under the shower spray for five straight minutes wailing at the top of his lungs. This is not his normal behavior for anyone that thinks this sounds like a typical evening with a 5-year-old. I stepped in the bathroom to tell him to wash up, dry off, get his pjs on and pick out a few books to read. He called (well whined) for me to come back. I slightly opened the shower curtain to see him on his hands and knees crying his eyes out as he said..................................

"Mommy!, this is my worst day ever!"

This was simultaneously the saddest and funniest thing to see and hear. It cracked me up and broke my heart. Luckily over the next few minutes I was able to talk him off the ledge and explain that the problem was T-I-R-E-D. I told him about how cranky I am when I am tired. Needless to say, it must have worked because he is already asleep and it is 7:40 and still full daylight outside. Think we are gonna sleep in a little later tomorrow too.

Guess the silver lining is that tomorrow has to be better, since today was the worst!

2 comments:

KSKH said...

:( Poor Dylan. I hope today is much better. Hopefully it is just an adjustment phase and the good days outweigh the bad.

Phyllis said...

I'll show my age and say that there was an old song "Breaking up is hard to do"...maybe it should have been "GROWING UP is hard to do".... Smart Mommy - sleep cures alot of things!