Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sponge Bob Pop Culture

Just another funny Dylan story. Who ever coined the term "Kids say the darnedest things" was 100% right.

Dylan has been at his new (#9 as he calls it) school for about a month now. He seems to really enjoy it, although he doesn't talk much about friends. He had quite a few at his old school even if they weren't the best influences.
It was making me sad to think he was having a hard time bonding with the other kids in his class. The class is about 16 boys and 5 girls and most of the boys are already 5 (a big deal to little ones) and bigger than him. That has never been an issue because he has great hand-eye coordination and is tough.
Anyway, last week he was excited to tell me all about his new friend, PLANKTON. Yeah, you read correctly. Who would be so cruel to their kid? I mean Sponge Bob is cool, but really?? I kept asking him to repeat himself and every time it was the same PLANKTON.
Finally it dawned on me that I had written all his classmates a Valentine card and like a light bulb the name CLAYTON came to mind. I explained to Dylan that his friend's name was actually Clayton. He says it right about half the time now.
I think he decided Plankton is way cooler anyway. And so the nicknames begin. You know what I mean, Cheeto?

1 comment: