Monday, February 22, 2010

Book Review

My New Year resolution for 2010 was to get back into reading more. I have been telling myself I just don't have the time, but that is complete bullshit because I figure out a way to watch 2-5 hours of TV every night and most of it I don't even care about. I decided to DVR all the shows I really need (okay need is a stretch) to watch and am trying to just stick with those. Of course there is always some extra time for Olympics, SpongeBob, and whatever sport Jason is forcing me to watch for the season. But, after that I am going to read.

Now it is in writing and I have some accountability. To keep me focused I decided I would do a blog review of the books I complete.

The first book I finished this year was "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It was wonderful. I am not going to review it because I actually read 90% last fall and put it down with 30 pages to go for 3 or 4 months. Finally finished it and passed it on to my mom. It is a great read and pretty educational, too. I would especially recommend it to anyone who is in one of those "trying to find yourself" places in life.

For my birthday, my wonderfully thoughtful friend, Heather bought me an "easy read". (I put that in quotes because I just had to explain to my hubby what the difference between an easy read and a hard read is..............he is under the impression that after about age 12 everything should be easy. I told him it was like the difference between reading the Austin American Statesman and The Wall Street Journal. He got it.)

"Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea" by comedian and host of E!'s "Chelsea Lately" author Chelsea Handler was my first completed book for the year. It took me 4 days only dedicating 30 minutes to an hour before bed and a little extra on Friday night.

It was hilarious!!! Short stories in chronological order from elementary school through the present. She gives us an insight to her childhood and the relationships with her parents and siblings. Some ridiculous dating mishaps and friendships that would make anyone need a drink are the basis of the remaining tales of lust, liquor and laughter in Los Angeles.

One of my favorite things was her ability to write sarcasm in a way that was blatantly obvious and even gave me the chance to laugh out loud at least once per story. I love when I get to laugh when reading!!

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes funny, autobiographical humor. Of course you need to be open minded and having a dirty mind would be helpful too!

My next book for the year is actually a re-read from about 10 years ago. "Island of the Sequined Love Nun" by Christopher Moore. I have read many of his books and I love the way his mind works. I would describe him as Stephen King on hallucinogens, without the scare factor. One of those authors where you are left asking yourself, "How does he come up with this stuff?".

Look for my next review in a few weeks.

1 comment:

KSKH said...

I totally admire that. I have never been much of a reader and I wish I was. Maybe I will strive to do it.