I am a murderer.
I was on my way between errands for work yesterday around 5 PM and trying to avoid Mopac due to traffic. I decided to take Shoal Creek from Koenig Lane all the way down to Anderson. Big mistake.
Just as I, and three other cars, made the quick turn onto Shoal Creek, a large white cat jetted from behind a Fox service van. He was a haze. I saw him, but only in time to slow down as I heard him underneath my car. Horrible.
I pulled over into the bike lane. The cars behind me swerved to avoid him. I waited a few minutes to regain my composure. I looked around and saw some kids playing in a driveway one house down from where the accident happened. I walked across the street and asked the older of the two if his mom or dad were home. He went in and got his mom.
She walked out and I told her I was sorry to bother her, but did they have an outdoor cat. She put her hand to her heart and said they did and had he been hit. I immediately started to tear up and told her that I had hit and killed her pet. Wow, that was very hard.
I was so blessed she was very kind to me and was assuring me it was an accident and that he runs out in the street all the time. Now the blame had taken another pair of shoulders and firmly placed itself on her back too. We walked over and she picked the cat up (not exactly looking for cars coming in the process. I was thinking "Lady, do you want to get run over too?") She just picked the cat up with her bare hands and carried it over to their yard.
The kids were sad. They said "Mom, that's Jo-Jo (not actually sure if that is the name they called as I was walking away in tears)" The mom said "She knows, she knows". I ruined their night, their week probably.
I called my mom after I got in the car and pulled away. I balled for 20 minutes while telling her what happened. Then I realized I should stop crying and hang up the phone before I ran over another household animal, or worse.
To the family, I would like to say I am very sorry and extend my sympathy for your loss. We had many cats meet their death at the wheels of a car and it is very sad to walk out and see them lying there in the street. I hope you appreciated that I came to find you and won't hold it against me. I am still very sad for you and hope Jo-Jo is happy, where ever he is now.
Get it before it's sold out
7 years ago

1 comment:
Oh no friend!!! That freakin sucks, I'm so sorry. :( You did the right thing by stopping and telling the family, you're such a good person. Lots of folks could give a shit and would just keep on driving. Don't be too hard on yourself, these things do happen.
Post a Comment