Friday, August 15, 2008

What do you want to be when you grow up?

This is one of the best Dylan stories from the past few weeks. Enjoy!!



We were reading a book last night before bedtime called, "What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?". It isn't one I had read to him in awhile, but is was immediately obvious that he and Jason have looked at it quite a lot.

The book is just animal cartoon characters dressed up in different clothing, holding props with their profession or job listed underneath. (Lawyer, Doctor, Teacher, etc.) Some of them are really weird, but he knew almost all of them.

When we got to "Waitress", he said it correctly and then told me that if it was a man, he was called a "Waiter".

Wow!! Nice work.

Then later we got to "Actor" and I told him if it was a girl, it was an "Actress". You could see the light bulb go off.

On the next page there was a picture of an "Artist", he called it a "Painter", which in this case was also correct because the girl fox was a painter. However, I thought he should know the broader term was "Artist".

So then he says, "Yeah and if it is a boy, it is an "Arter". That was too cute and I loved seeing him use his new knowledge. Of course, I explained that wasn't correct and since he doesn't spell quite yet, he didn't really get it.



I thought that was funny, until the ultimate happened a few pages later. The page had four characters; a clown, a juggler, a lion tamer, and an acrobat. He got the first two correct and then when I pointed to "Lion Tamer", he said really loudly, are you ready.........



"A Liontist"!!!!



You know, like a scientist.



OMG!!! I laughed my behind off! He loves to make people laugh, so he just kept repeating himself, not really understanding why it was so funny.



I love when this kind of stuff happens. The way their little brains work is amazing to me. I wish I could strap a video camera to my shoulder 24/7 so I could capture all the hilarity.

Hopefully the blog will continue to be a good way for me to preserve the memories.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Hey Carrie its Courtney. I can't believe Dylan is so big-I think he was going on 2 the last time I saw him? Glad to see things are going great for y'all.

KQ said...

I want to be LIONIST!